Friday, April 4, 2008

Just Call Me Britney Spears...

So I think I am getting way too into this whole blogging thing. But it is also good for me because then I can remember all of the fascinating things that I did on this trip. So really this is for me, if you decide to read it, then that's good too.

Anyways, so we were laughing today because everyday we say "this was the best day ever." So far it has been like this, everyday is better than the day before. At some point I suppose this will stop, but so far today has been the best yet. I did so many things that I cannot even really describe to the feeling or the sights that I have seen. So from the beginning... Our first stop this morning was to the Mini Great Wall as our guide David liked to call it. The Chinese name of the city I cannot remember or even attempt to say. But when we say mini...it is pretty much a lie. I guess I might change my mind when I get to see the real one in May, but right now all I have to say is...I thought I might die. Ok, not really, but these were the steapest stairs I have ever seen. Straight up , no kidding!!! And like thousands of them! My heart was pounding and my feet killing me by the end. But of course in the midst of this tortorus climb we had to stop periodically to smile and be good Americans because everybody wanted to take their pictures with us. (More to come on this and the title of the blog...) So after the climb...we actually only climbed 1/3 of the actual wall, it went to a temple or something. David said it would take us "Americans" too long to climb the whole thing. We were apparently too slow for him.

So after the climb we got back into our bus, and drove to this really old village. David said it was over 400 years old or something. Also, have I mentioned that today was a Chinese holiday? So when we got to the village they were having a sort of ceremony. From a distance I could see the people all dressed up as a dragon and got really excited so we started running so we could see them before they stopped. When we got close this man was standing on a stool and when he saw us he let us stand on it so we could get a better look. One of my fellow classmates (very tall and blonde, so needless to say stands out very much) got on it and all the photographers who were taking pictures of the ceremony turned around and started to take pictures of her. The ceremony then ended and David took us closer (through the barricades) to get our picture with the dragons. Before we knew it there were not 1, not 5, but about 20-30 people with phones to huge professional cameras taking pictures of us. Falling over eachother and screaming at us to look their way. Have you ever wanted to be famous??? Go to China, and you wil be famous. It was like we had paparazzi. Everywhere we went around the village all day people were staring, taking pictures of us, and the brave ones would stop and ask us if they could take pictures of us. It was quite flattering at first, but when you are exsausted we had to take the grin and bear it approach. It was an amazing experience feeling like a celeberty though. I have a new compassion for Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

So we shopped in the village, had lunch, shopped allll day, took tons of pictures, and got very tired. For dinner, we went to Grandma's Kitchen for some homecooking!! We had AMerican food or Western as they call it. I had a big cheeseburger, fries, coke and lemon cheesecake. It was very good. I also had the chance to hangout for a little bit with my host family tonight. Only like 30 mins, but it was the first time we have had a chance to talk. Sunday I get to spend the whole day with them. Tomorrow we are headed to the Mountains! And yes we get to climb it! Soooo I need to go to bed so I dont fall asleep while climbing the mountain. Love to all and remember COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you all!!

4 comments:

Jen B said...

jeez, you sure are bossy! i'm glad you having such an awewome time. i guess i didn't realize it would be so much fun. can't wait to see the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like a great time. I so enjoy reading your blog. I am curious to read about the mountains and flower gardens you went to visit. What was the purpose of the mini wall, same as the great wall? And, was it as old as the great wall? I can't wait to see all your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Christy's Aunt Amy
Well, I tried to post earlier but I could not figure out how.....oh well no need to comment on my computer skills
It makes me wish I were with you. The kids and I are enjoying reading all about your adventure.

Anonymous said...

Christy Geer!!!! I miss you, and I'm so glad that China has been so absolutely amazing for you! I hope to experience it one day myself. I want a paparazzi! Only kidding! I'm loving your blog, keep on updating it b/c I love to hear about your adventures! I'm so happy for you and I can NOT wait to see what phenomenal pictures you have taken! Love you! And I'm praying for you!
Catherine