Monday, April 7, 2008

I am the crazy American Lady

So I have been told that I am leading to things in my title and not writing about them later.  Sorry, I forget sometimes by the end of the blog.  So about the mexican man on the mountain.  As we were walking up the mountain he stopped us and asked us in English if that was the way down.  We all got a little startled because someone was speaking English to us and quite well.  So we told him yes and he started yelling at some other people in Spanish.  I then got even more excited at this, because I haven't heard that either in a long time.  So we talked to him a bit, in some broken Spanish and English. He was from Mexico City and seemed quite well to do.  We then told him we were headed to this Cave and he decided to follow us except we really didnt know where this cave even was.  So it became a joint expedition.  He was very nice and it was fun to talk to someone in English who could understand us that we didn't know.

So more updates...still no luck on the ring.  She put up some reward signs...so still hoping and praying!  Chelsea thinks she might have had food poisoning from some chicken she ate on Friday night.  She was still really sick yesterday but was feeling better today.  She is though now at that stage where she is very afraid to eat anything but really needs to get some nourishment in her.  They took her to the clinic to make sure she wasn't any sicker than we thought she was and she was not running a fever.  So she is taking it easy, and we are hoping that she will be back to full self tomorrow.

So today I got to teach! I taught three lessons in third grade and one lesson in first grade.  It was very nerve wracking but the first two went pretty well.  We were talking about report cards and how to read them.  I think they probably think I"m crazy from all my hoping and hand gestures.  In the third class I taught the teacher decided to leave me alone which was not good because I had no way of explaining things if they did not understand.  So I told on her and my professor complained to the principal...woops.  For the first grade class I was helping another teacher friend of mine and we taught them Old McDonald Had a Farm and animal sounds.  The first graders do not speak very much English at all so it is very hard to explain things to them.  They get so excited though when they do know the answers.  It is fun though when you call on a student.  Things are very old school here, and the student has to stand to answer the question.  I think I might use this in my classroom!  

After teaching a couple of us walked to the market to buy some juice and calling cards. On the way we stopped in the bakery and found some very yummy sweet bread.  We each bought one and then continued on to the store.  As we were walking we all discovered that this bread was the best thing known to man and on our way back hit the store again and each bought two or three.  The lady seemed quite surprised to see us all back so soon.

So I think I have mentioned that when we were at that place we all got a lot of attention and people were taking a lot of pictures of us.  But I just wanted to say a bit more on how crazy it is how much attention we get wherever we go.  Whenever we are walking around the school, every student stops to say hello to us. Now yes this sounds sweet, but saying hello 500 times a day gets just a bit annoying.  Some of the brave ones will touch us, but mostly we just get hello. I have taken to saying howdy and I think it confuses them.  Most of the students only know hello and what is your name, and that is about it.  When we are not at school and walking around the college campus or when I was at KFC last night I just get stared at.  It is really like I am some sort of celebrity.  The parents will force their kids to come talk to me and say hello when they are usually too shy or nervous.  One little girl though just walked right up to our table and just stared at me for at least 5 minutes straight.  It is quite strange having someone watch you eat.  I do think I am getting used to all the staring and do not notice it as much anymore.  It is though quite flattering.  A lot of times the students or people will just come and say "Hello! You are very beautiful."  So when I come home I except to be treated as the celebrity and beautiful person that I am.  Just thought you should know.

So the title of the post...don't worry I got to it this time.  So quick story really.  On the way home from school today I was walking with my friend Jeannette and her host girl.  I was doing something silly, who knows what and Jeannette told her host girl that I was crazy.  So finally the host girl understood what Jeannette was saying.  So then I told the host girl that Jeannette had ugly toes, and the host girl goes " I don't listen, b/c you are a crazy girl."  So that is my story.  Love to all, as soon as my clothes in the washing machine are finished I am going to bed.  Yes, I figured out how to work the Chinese washing machine all by myself!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HaHa, your dad said yes she is the crazy lady!!Ha Ha

Good to actually see you tonight. Yes, I'm glad your dad bought the webcam.