Friday, April 18, 2008

Big Macs in China are to die for

...Video does not seem to want to upload today....going to try later

Well, not too much really going on here. Yesterday was the end of the English Week performances. I have posted a modge podge video of the whole week. On Thursday, half of the student teachers performed a backstreet boys song with David. You can see a small clip of the performance on this video. They were a very big hit. Today, I got to teach THREE TIMES!!! The most I have taught all week. All three went very well and I really enjoyed teaching them. I taught Stephanie's class today and she seemed to enjoy it. Before class started she came up to me and said "Be Strong!" It was quite cute. I think she could tell that I was a bit nervous. They had such high expectations of me that I wanted it to go well and not be boring. But, Fatema and I did an excellent co-teaching lesson. We eloquently moved back and forth in leading and explaining the topic. Hopefully it was not too boring. In my last class today I taught with Ashley. Jeannnette's host girl, who I absolutely adore (the one who calls me crazy) is in this class. We taught our lesson on rules and consequences. We both quickly discovered that this class has a very funny sense of humor along with their regular teacher. Their English teacher (Mr. Lin) was also observing us teach the lesson. As a part of the lesson, we asked the students to share some rules and consequences at home and at school. So one student gets up and says: "If you call Mr. Lin ugly then he will chop off your head." Then later we had the students make up skits about not following rules. When the students shared they were all about Mr. Lin and how he is ugly, mean, and if you eat in his class he will kill you. They were quite comical and Mr. Lin just sat in the back and laughed. I was a bit shocked at the first comment from the students but then grew realize that he has quite a funny rapport with them that many of the other teachers do not have. It was funny to see them joke on their teacher and it be ok, and it was also quite strange how violent all there stories were. Many of them included hitting, kicking or killing. Crazy little middle school students.
This afternoon, we took a special trip to a pre-school near our school inside the college. This facility has kids from 2 to 5 years old. When we got there the kids had just gotten up from their nap and were doing exercises to music on the playground. This is a very big thing here. It was sooo cute! I just wanted to grab one and run. They did not quite know what to do with so many white people running around their school. In each of the classrooms, were little beds for each of the students for their naps. It reminded me of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs because there were so many beds and they were so tiny! It was really interesting though to see how the pre-school differs from the older primary. It was really quite similar to pre-schools in the US. One of the most funny things to me was the padded walls. Smart people!
Tonight for dinner we decided to skip out on our host families and make a break for some American food. I've been craving a big mac for two weeks now. It was very delicious. I am way over Chinese food and rice at this point. I also had an excellent hot fudge sundae. We had some dairy queen the other day but it was not good. The ice cream tasted sort of fishy. But the mcdonalds ice cream was amazing. On the way home I had my first Chengdu public bus ride. We paid the extra 1 yen to take the air conditioned bus. I think I forgot to mentioned this yesterday, but my family's uncle is visiting right now. The mother's brother. He is quite tall and I found tonight that he is in the Chinese Army. We all sat and talked for a while which was nice. Well, me, the mom and Stephanie talked, little brother (I finally remembered his English name: Bryant) and the uncle do not speak very much English. All Bryant can say is "What's this!" and always very loudly. I have decided he does not know how to talk but only yell. He is still quite the cutey. While we were talking, we some how got to talking about driving and driver's licenses and how they are different in American and here. I got my GA driver's license out and she showed me her Chinese driver's license. I have been learning from David how difficult it is to get a driver's license in China. He has been working on getting his and finally passed his last test today. Which is one reason why we went to McDonald's, to celebrate! Tomorrow we are going to another market to shop and then the Opera! I am very excited. Well as usual I am exhausted at such an early hour. Bye!
A couple of minutes ago, right after I finished writing this Stephanie came up here and asked what I was doing, so I was showing her that I was writing about my day. I was also talking to my parents on instant messenger. I then had the bright idea to turn the skype (Internet calling program) so we could talk directly to them and video chat. So my parents go to talk and see Stephanie. She got quite nervous though and ran away after a few minutes. Next time I will have to get Bryant to try and I'll let him scream HELLO and WHAT IS THIS! into the computer.... :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yay Christy! I miss you so much!! So glad you're having a good time in China!