Tuesday, April 15, 2008

It's English Week!!!!!!


Enjoy that video??  Today as you can see we had a lot of fun.  This is week is English Week at the middle school.  The students are celebrating the importance of learning English and how it will help them prosper in the future.  As a part of English week, each afternoon the students are having a sort of talent show.  Anybody from each class can participate.  So they are doing various things from skits to famous movies (Sleeping Beauty), singing a song (Do Re Me from the Sound of Music), performing a dance, classic Chinese dances and music and one student even gave a full speech in English about poverty. It was quite impressive for a middle school student even here in America.  So along with these performances who better to show an example of some dancing in American than us the Foreign Teachers! That's what they call us, it is quite entertaining.  So we performed the Cupid Shuffle once again with some of the other English teachers.  You can kind of see them in the back.  I am the girl towards the back in the middlish right side who is a beat off in all her moves.  Hey give me a break, I did learn the little dance in the beginning just today!
So back to the actual teaching. I actually did not really teach a class today, I only
led some middle school students in some reading and response. Tomorrow I will be 
co-teaching in my first middle school lesson. Should be great fun! I have noticed 
today that the middle schoolers are a lot less responsive and nervous than the primary 
kids. I was told by Stephanie (host sister) that I had to be very exciting and encourage 
them to raise their hands. I am teaching Stephanie's class on Friday and I am a bit nervous.  
She and her friends keep telling me how excited they are for me to teach them and I am 
a bit afraid that it is going to be very boring. What the teacher told me she wants me to 
teach them is not at all interesting...I have to think of some way to liven it up. Well
all this dancing has worn me out. Tomorrow we are performing again.  
This time I am singingin Chinese! We'll see how this goes...

3 comments:

Merridith said...

That was a pretty intense dance!

Oh and I thought I would let you know what's going on in ATL.. Passion was awesome as usual. They showed a clip from the Passion Regional in Washington DC of a girl from China.. who had some how traveled by herself to Washington D.C. Louie invited her on stage and she shared her testimony. It was really cool! Anyways.. it made me think of you. Oh and it's freezin here.. in April. GEEZE!

Krystian said...

I must say, that was an awesome performance!

Anonymous said...

Hey Christy, we miss you at UpStreet. I now see why you were a coach and not part of the UpStreet dance team...just kidding. It was great to catch up with you virtually and see what God is doing in your life and through your life. We will keep praying for you and your ministry. We miss you at UpStreet. Stay up and may God bless you and keep you!

Chris Gamble (you just got served)